I grew up in the jungles of Peru, so have fun sorting out lies from truths!
1. My first pet was a boa constrictor.
2. As a young adult, I used to regularly drive a motorcycle (Honda XL 125) across a river (during dry season).
3. We briefly had a monkey as a pet, until it was killed by army ants.
4. One time my sister was swimming in the lake near our house and a piranha bit off part of her little toe. The next day, a boy we went to school with was fishing and caught a piranha. When he gutted it, he found the missing piece of her toe inside!
5. As kids, we always went barefoot everywhere, including to school and to church. I even learned to drive a motorcycle barefoot.
6. I learned to speak Quechua before either Spanish or English.
7. One time in the 1990s when shopping with a group of friends in town, gunfire opened up on the street (terrorist-related activity) and we had to hide in the back of a truck until it died down.
8. For several years when I was in elementary school, my mom cooked all our meals over an open fire. Yep, just like you see on “Survivor.”
He he he.